Regenerative medicine is a fairly new branch of medicine that aims to restore organ and tissue function for patients with serious injuries or chronic disease. A key component of regenerative medicine is stem cell therapy — because stem cells can be used to regenerate and repair tissue. Stem cells have the power to deliver many benefits to those who undergo stem cell therapy. This type of regenerative medicine can help individuals who suffer from disease and other afflictions. And more research is conducted daily to explore other applications of stem cell therapy. Read on to learn more about stem cell therapy and regenerative medicine, as well as the ways it can help patients make full recoveries.
Stem Cell Therapy ExplainedWhat is stem cell therapy? First, what is a stem cell? A stem cell is a single cell within a multicellular organism. Stem cells can generate an indefinite number of cells of the same type, and these cells can differentiate into another kind of cell. Stem cell therapy takes advantage of the regenerative properties of stem cells. A set of techniques helps stem cells to replace damaged or destroyed cells with healthy, fully functional ones. In order to start this process, researchers grow stem cells in a lab, manipulating them to become specific types of cells. For use in stem cell therapy, these cells may become heart muscle cells, blood cells, or nerve cells. Once the cells are specialized, they can be injected into a person to start the healing process. What types of stem cell therapies are currently being researched? Though regenerative medicine is a fairly new area of exploration, there are several types of stem cell therapies that have been researched and utilized in some way:
- Adult stem cell transplants using bone marrow stem cells
- Adult stem cell transplants using peripheral stem cells
- Stem cell transplants using umbilical cord blood
- Therapeutic cloning
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord and other injuries
- Skin cells for burn victims
Continued Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine ResearchStem cells are being manipulated and utilized to promote recovery in individuals with disease. Though doctors and researchers have seen much success with this method of treatment, there is still much to be learned about the potential of stem cells in assisting healing for various diseases and conditions. If you’d like to learn more about stem cell therapy or how the treatment plan works at Neck and Back Medical Center, our team would be more than happy to answer your questions and walk you through the process. We are always available to assist clients and explain all of our treatment options at our Laguna Hills clinic.
Nutrition affects overall health in many different ways. From your general well-being and happiness, to more complex health conditions, what you consume on a daily basis plays a huge role when it comes to your body and your health. The team at Neck & Back Medical Center wants to be a resource for you in your journey toward optimal health and pain-free living. Read on to learn more about the topic of nutrition and improvements you might consider making to your diet.
Improve Nutrition, Improve Your HealthFollowing a healthy diet doesn’t have to be strict, boring or overwhelming. A good place to start when trying to adopt better eating habits is with the things you should be eating more often. For a healthier body and a better state of mind, start by increasing your intake of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes to keep you full, instead of relying on processed or packaged foods. If you’re looking for a reason to get motivated to make these healthy swaps in your diet, we’ve got quite a few. Proper nutrition amplifies your health of body and mind. Eating well can lead to the following positive changes in your day-to-day life:
- More Energy: When your body is fueled up with nutritious foods, your energy levels will soar. This will give you the boost you need to have a productive workday, run errands or exercise after work and maybe even have time to prepare a healthy dinner (or lunch for the next day).
- Weight Management: Maybe calorie counting isn’t for you, but filling up on nutritious foods leaves less room for cravings or binges, without making you feel too restricted.
- Brain Power: Nuts, seeds, avocados, and other “brain foods” contain brain-boosting fatty acids, Omega-3, and Omega-6.
- Avoid Illness: If it feels like you are always coming down with a cold, increasing your intake of vitamins and minerals may help improve the function of your immune system.
- Look Younger: Fight degenerative changes that occur as you age by paying attention to the nutritional value of foods and beverages you consume.