New Year’s resolutions are great, but why wait for 2017 to start prioritizing your health and happiness? Holidays may be a time for rest, relaxation, and indulgence, but there are ways to stay on track, even during the most festive season of the year. Neck & Back Medical Center wants to share some easy ways to stay healthy, avoid illness, and make better choices for your well-being this holiday season.
Healthier Holidays in Laguna Hills, CaliforniaStay Well ‘Tis the season for stuffy noses, sniffles, and coughs that just won’t quit. To avoid this year’s endless sequence of colds that are ‘going around,’ be sure to take the following precautions:
- Wash your hands well and often. This means soap, water, and at least 20 seconds of scrubbing.
- Bundle up. Stay dry and warm with appropriate outdoor clothing.
- Manage stress, and get plenty of sleep. A well-rested body is better equipped to fight off illness.
- Eat before you go to holiday parties. This may seem counterintuitive, but it will keep you from overindulging in party treats.
- Drink more water to balance out excess sodium and food intake.
- Choose vegetables and healthy proteins first at the buffet table, then go for the more high-calorie dishes.
- Go for a walk or a run, especially on days where you know you will be eating more than usual.
- Plan family activities outdoors, like flag football, a family stroll through the neighborhood, or even just throwing a frisbee.
- Schedule your day to include time for exercise. Just because it’s not a normal workday, doesn’t mean a little structure won’t help.
Happy Holidays from the Neck & Back TeamThe team at Neck & Back Medical Center wants to wish all of our wonderful patients an enjoyable, relaxing holiday season. As 2016 comes to a close and you prepare for a brand New Year, we send our best wishes for peace, love, health, and happiness. Take some time as the year winds down to remember the best moments from this year — what was your favorite part of 2016? And as you look to the New Year, set new goals and objectives — what do you hope will be your favorite part of 2017? As always, the Neck & Back team wants to help our patients and loved ones achieve the highest quality of life. Let us know how we can be a part of your health and happiness in 2017. Happy holidays to all, and a very merry New Year!
It’s no secret that as children our nutritional needs change as we grow up and become more active. But did you know that your nutritional needs change as you age throughout adulthood, too? As we grow older, the concept of a healthy diet remains the same — we need a balanced and nutritious diet to help us look and feel our best. However, the composition of our diet can be adjusted to best satisfy our needs in every age bracket. Keep reading to learn what foods make up the healthiest diet for your age range and body.
The Best Diet for (All of) Your Best YearsIn Your 20s and 30s If you’re in this age range, chances are you have a pretty busy schedule. School, work, social obligations, exercise, and chores fill up your schedule. You may wonder how anyone has time to consider nutrition with everything else you have going on, but it’s important to make your diet a priority in your 20s and 30s. The way you eat now sets the tone for your health in the future. Considering having a family? Start forming the healthy habits now that you hope your children will adopt as they grow and learn. Remember to incorporate the following into your diet to be sure you are getting the proper nutrients for your current and future health:
- Calcium-rich foods
- Whole grains
- Antioxidant-rich foods
- Iron-rich foods
- Vitamin D
- Omega-3 fats from fish and eggs
- Whole greens
- Heart-friendly foods
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D