New Year’s resolutions are great, but why wait for 2017 to start prioritizing your health and happiness? Holidays may be a time for rest, relaxation, and indulgence, but there are ways to stay on track, even during the most festive season of the year.
Neck & Back Medical Center wants to share some easy ways to stay healthy, avoid illness, and make better choices for your well-being this holiday season.
Healthier Holidays in Laguna Hills, California
‘Tis the season for stuffy noses, sniffles, and coughs that just won’t quit. To avoid this year’s endless sequence of colds that are ‘going around,’ be sure to take the following precautions:
- Wash your hands well and often. This means soap, water, and at least 20 seconds of scrubbing.
- Bundle up. Stay dry and warm with appropriate outdoor clothing.
- Manage stress, and get plenty of sleep. A well-rested body is better equipped to fight off illness.
Make Good Choices
There are several easy ways to keep your food choices (reasonably) healthy, even at all the holiday parties:
- Eat before you go to holiday parties. This may seem counterintuitive, but it will keep you from overindulging in party treats.
- Drink more water to balance out excess sodium and food intake.
- Choose vegetables and healthy proteins first at the buffet table, then go for the more high-calorie dishes.
Relaxing doesn’t have to turn into a total snooze fest — keep moving this holiday season:
- Go for a walk or a run, especially on days where you know you will be eating more than usual.
- Plan family activities outdoors, like flag football, a family stroll through the neighborhood, or even just throwing a frisbee.
- Schedule your day to include time for exercise. Just because it’s not a normal workday, doesn’t mean a little structure won’t help.
Want more insight into your health as we close 2016 and move forward to a New Year? Let Neck & Back Medical Center help you achieve your goals. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our team with questions or concerns.