Healthier Holidays in Laguna Hills, CaliforniaStay Well ‘Tis the season for stuffy noses, sniffles, and coughs that just won’t quit. To avoid this year’s endless sequence of colds that are ‘going around,’ be sure to take the following precautions:
- Wash your hands well and often. This means soap, water, and at least 20 seconds of scrubbing.
- Bundle up. Stay dry and warm with appropriate outdoor clothing.
- Manage stress, and get plenty of sleep. A well-rested body is better equipped to fight off illness.
- Eat before you go to holiday parties. This may seem counterintuitive, but it will keep you from overindulging in party treats.
- Drink more water to balance out excess sodium and food intake.
- Choose vegetables and healthy proteins first at the buffet table, then go for the more high-calorie dishes.
- Go for a walk or a run, especially on days where you know you will be eating more than usual.
- Plan family activities outdoors, like flag football, a family stroll through the neighborhood, or even just throwing a frisbee.
- Schedule your day to include time for exercise. Just because it’s not a normal workday, doesn’t mean a little structure won’t help.