Every year, people make New Year’s resolutions. These can vary from person to person, and they can be something tiny (like flossing every day) or something life-changing (like losing a significant amount of weight). For 2017, some of the most popular New Year’s resolutions include:
- healthier lifestyles
- better organization
- picking up new hobbies
- saving money
Stick With Your Resolutions in Laguna Hills, CaliforniaSetting your sights on personal goals and positive changes in the New Year is a great first step. The next step is seeing these resolutions through. Some of the following tips and tricks may help reinforce your dedication to your resolutions, and make for a truly wonderful 2017.
- Write your resolutions down: Not that you would forget, but writing down your resolutions and leaving them in a place you’ll see them every day (like your refrigerator, or on your desk at work) can be a simple way to make sure you stay focused on your goals.
- Start small: Big dreams are good, but if your New Year’s resolutions are too lofty, you’ll be more likely to throw in the towel. Work your way up from goals that are easier to accomplish while chipping away at long-term resolutions over the course of the year.
- Tell someone: Preferably a friend or family member who can help you stay accountable. You might even pair up with someone who has a similar resolution so you can keep each other honest.
- Incentivize achievement: Work off a rewards system — like treating yourself to your favorite latte if you get up early to make it to the gym before work, or getting one new item you love for your house every time you finish organizing a room.
- Give yourself a break: If your goal is to make healthy eating choices, choose one day a week you’ll let yourself splurge. If you want to stop using your credit cards, decide in advance what emergencies would warrant the use of plastic.
New Year’s resolutions are great, but why wait for 2017 to start prioritizing your health and happiness? Holidays may be a time for rest, relaxation, and indulgence, but there are ways to stay on track, even during the most festive season of the year. Neck & Back Medical Center wants to share some easy ways to stay healthy, avoid illness, and make better choices for your well-being this holiday season.
Healthier Holidays in Laguna Hills, CaliforniaStay Well ‘Tis the season for stuffy noses, sniffles, and coughs that just won’t quit. To avoid this year’s endless sequence of colds that are ‘going around,’ be sure to take the following precautions:
- Wash your hands well and often. This means soap, water, and at least 20 seconds of scrubbing.
- Bundle up. Stay dry and warm with appropriate outdoor clothing.
- Manage stress, and get plenty of sleep. A well-rested body is better equipped to fight off illness.
- Eat before you go to holiday parties. This may seem counterintuitive, but it will keep you from overindulging in party treats.
- Drink more water to balance out excess sodium and food intake.
- Choose vegetables and healthy proteins first at the buffet table, then go for the more high-calorie dishes.
- Go for a walk or a run, especially on days where you know you will be eating more than usual.
- Plan family activities outdoors, like flag football, a family stroll through the neighborhood, or even just throwing a frisbee.
- Schedule your day to include time for exercise. Just because it’s not a normal workday, doesn’t mean a little structure won’t help.